Friday, October 15, 2010

Write, Write, Write! When?!

I'm preparing for NaNoWriMo (see previous post) and trying to decide what time of day is the best for me to write. Here's how this is going:

Mornings - This would seem like the perfect time for me to write. My son is out of the house by 6:45 every morning. It's quiet and I have about 30 minutes before I need to get ready for work. However, mornings and my brain don't get along. The alarm echoes "hit snooze" instead of "get up!" I lay in bed letting the smell of coffee waft over me. Snooze...

Afternoons - My regular 40 hour work week doesn't allow for much time to write. Lunch would be the best time but where? The lunch room is crowded, noisy and frankly smells funny. My office is quiet but interruptions are frequent. Writing in my car has always felt awkward.

Evenings - This depends on which one, or does it. I planned to list my evenings and why I can't write that night but Thursday is the only evening that is truly booked. Hmmm.

Well, my 30 minutes this morning is gone.

When do you write?

2 comments:

  1. I think what may work best with NaNo is doing a bit whenever and wherever you can. If you try to find the perfect space and time to write 1667 words, you may struggle. And the next thing you know, it's bedtime and you haven't written a thing. Maybe you could do one page when you get up, another at lunch and another as soon as you get home? At least then when there are days when you don't manage to get it all done, you'll have got, say, 400 out of the way first thing.

    I once interviewed an extremely prolific author who used to leave her laptop open to her current WIP on the kitchen table. She would stop and add a paragraph or two each time she was passing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete