Sunday, November 28, 2010

The End is the End... or is it?

See that bar over there? Just there to the right. At this moment it reads 41,134 words written (subject to change). That means at this current moment I am only 8,866 words and two days from the NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 words written in 30 days. The end is nye.. or is it?


I forced myself to bed last night after reaching the number above and realizing I had no idea how to end this story. When I started 28 days ago, I had a basic outline of events that needed to happen to get me to the end. Several surprises popped up along the way, but the end I created before I started still seemed plausible. The characters knew all along, I'm sure, but they were kind enough to let me think I would get my way. I am now at the end of the story but due to characters with more control than I ever imagined... the end is nowhere in sight ... or is it?


I woke this morning and lay in bed another 45 minutes. Getting up seemed pointless. In the midst of the climax, my story had no ending. The demons waited. The family huddled. And... nothing. I checked my email, twitter and FaceBook all from the warm restraint of heavy blankets and my dog (gotta love smart phones and smart dogs for that matter). As I was rolling through a few NaNo forum posts and contemplating the benefits of sleep, a very clear voice said, "They have to leave." Before the voice could fade, an image formed and ... the end is clear (say it with me now).. or is it?

Yes, this ending will work nicely and may in fact be genius. Well, it won't change the world or anything.. hmm... it does change the story world. Anyway, I have my ending for this story. So what's the problem now? Can you say sequel?

No comments:

Post a Comment