Sunday, November 21, 2010

Following Your Character to Hell

I am emotionally drained at the moment after writing my main character into a dangerous situation and maiming another secondary character.

The situation with my main character was planned and he's been left where I need him to be. However, the maiming of my secondary character was not planned in the slightest.

When I am having trouble forcing a scene, I will take a deep breath and let the character tell me where we are going next. Now I realize this may sound odd to someone that doesn't write, but I guess you could think of it as a form of "free writing". This has happened a few times so far in this novel and so far I've been happy with the events as they unfolded. Not the case this time.

I followed this secondary character as I needed to get away from the place I'd just left my main character. At first I typed easily and understood the reason for the secondary character's place of choice. It made sense that he would do this. As we moved along through the scene, the mood became more somber and I realized we weren't leaving this scene without something horrible happening. Before I could change my mind about any of it, the entire scene played out in my mind and linked itself back to the scene I'd left before. It had to be written.

I feel horribly guilty about having written it and done this to my character, but in all honesty... he led me here himself. He already knew this was coming before I did. In fact, I'm pretty sure he and all the other characters know much more than I.

I think I'll take a small break before I try to lighten the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment