Saturday, November 20, 2010

Story with an Attitude

Congrats to me! Yes, I am tooting my own horn and I deserve it! I just passed 20,000 words. My novel is now 20,000 words in length. The story is not exactly as I thought it would go, but I have to say I am excited about a few of the scenes that evolved as I struggled to get from point A to point B.

*insert happy dance here*

As I push through this NaNoWriMo, I am reminded of my favorite quote from Mark Twain:

“There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written—it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself.”

I find a sense of relief in this quote. My struggles to write my story do not necessarily mean the story, my writing or my dreams of being published are off the mark. In fact, this quote makes me think I must be on the right path.

This story has been more than 10 years coming. It has changed and fought with me every step of the way. My characters have refused to be written into situations and instead pushed my writing in other directions. The settings change at will. The plot thickens and thins despite my best efforts to keep it on track. The chapters end suddenly and usually when my mojo is in full effect.

Over the last 2 years, I've come to understand one thing very clearly:

I am not writing a story. The story is already written.

No comments:

Post a Comment