Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reading to Write

I don't read enough. I know it. Anyone that knows me knows it. My dog even knows it. So.. I'm reading. Presently, I'm reading "Writing Great Books for Young Adults" by Regina Brooks. Ok, so I've only read the introduction. Even so, it's already got me doubting if my novel is actually a YA or something just beyond. Guess, I'll have to read the whole book to figure it out. It's fairly short so if I don't make a big fuss about it and actually read it... I'll get back to you on that.

The only reason I bought this book was because I was yet again trying to find a book that clues me in to the next step in this novel process. I'm so very tired of seeing books on the shelf about writing the novel, getting the idea and finishing the first draft. I did that! Next!! This book appears to have a few "what to do next" suggestions. We'll see.

There are books that will take you from idea to publisher in 12 easy steps but there's always a step missing. Revision and self-editing are either mentioned on two pages or skipped all together. Is editing/revision one of those "feel your way through it" processes? Ugh.

In the meantime, my novel waits for me to make up my mind about the future of it's 156 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment