Wednesday, September 30, 2015

NaNoWriMo2015 is Coming!

If you've read this blog, then you know I attempted to write a novel in the 2010 NaNoWriMo contest and won. I wrote a novel of just over 50,000 words titled "Bleak." Since that time, I've done little to further this wonderful novel. I still adore it and feel as passionately about the book as the day I completed the final page. So why haven't I done anything to bring it closer to seeing the light of day?


Well, what had happened was..... You know how "they" tell you to BACK UP YOUR FILES?! Well, I figured backing up the file on my thumb drive was good enough. *Sigh* The laptop I was using died a horrific death. The thumb drive became so depressed at the loss of its friend that it refused to work on any other PC, and it eventually left me. 

On a positive note, I do have a fully printed copy of the novel... a fully PRINTED copy. *more sighing* I am now laboriously re-typing this novel. Every word. Every. Awful. Word. That's right, awful. This novel was never edited from my initial fury of word sprints and late night story developments. I'm trying to just get it back in digital form with the intent of editing later.

This brings me to NaNoWriMo 2015. I cannot, of course, just re-write "Bleak", but I can create a new story using characters from the book. "Bleak" was always supposed to be a multi-book series. I thought I might write the next book, but I started to think my characters from "Bleak" need more backbone, more story... then it happened. I realized "Bleak" could quite possibly be the LAST book in the series, not the first!!!

Now as I re-type "Bleak" I am thinking about which characters I want to make the focus of this year's NaNoWriMo. I love them all. I want to write more about them all ... but who shall it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment