Monday, November 2, 2015

Don't Be Rude!

The first day of NaNoWriMo is over. I wrote up to my expected 1,667 and maybe a few words past it. What do I think about what I wrote? Well, I knew only the very opening. I knew the feeling I wanted my MC to have. I knew very little else. I typed out what I wanted to be there and then it happened. The feeling I love about writing. The characters show up. They already know they are in this story. I'm the one moving slowly and trying to catch up. It's exhilarating!

I love the rush of new characters arriving on the page. I just keep typing all the while thinking where did you come from, who are you. They ignore my questions and just keep telling me what to write. I've lost my ability to stay with it, though. I was so excited to see a new character jump in the scene yesterday that I stopped writing to walk around the house being excited. By the time I got back to the page, my new character was tired of waiting for me and had very little to say.

I must remember to stay with it. Just keep typing. Be excited when it's done. Just keep going! Leaving the page during a good scene is like walking way from a conversation while the person is still talking! That's just rude. Listening to my characters is the best way to find out what they really want and need.

I'm reading Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass. The book and workbook were recommended by Jonathan Maberry during a NaNoWriMo online podcast. Each author present was asked which writing book still helps them in their current writing. Maberry was quick to say he buys this workbook for every new book he writes. I like to book so far and will be using as much of his suggestions as I can while writing this month. I haven't used the workbook yet. Feel like I need to get through the actual book first.

Well, back to it. They are hovering over me and waiting every so impatiently.


No comments:

Post a Comment