Sunday, November 22, 2015

Double on the Rocks, Please

Are you kidding me? Only 9 days left of NaNoWriMo? This month has flown by and my mind has flown with it. I started out fairly strong with writing, but, well, life happens. I think I skipped out on writing for at least 3-4 days which put me behind in a big way. 

As of Monday 11/14/2015, I'd only written 8,959 words. I should have been at 26K. I could have stopped, threw up my hand, and run screaming from the room. I didn't .. I wrote 11K words in 5 days. That's an average of 2,292 words a day. Some days I wrote more, some less. The point is... I wrote. How did I do it? How am I continuing to do it? 

  • Word Sprints - word sprints are pretty much what they sound like - set a time, say 10 minutes, 15 minutes and write as may words as you can in that time frame. Twitter is a great place to find friends to word sprint with you or you can follow @NaNoWordSprints for all day, every day sprints. Some like to add a word count goal to the timed sprint. The most popular timed sprint with a word goal is 1K in 30 minutes.... write 1,000 words in 30 minutes. Harder than it sounds and takes concentration.

  • Word Wars - word wars are battles between two or more people in which a time is set to write - the goal is write more words than the other person during the time limit. Typically you don't know how well the other person is writing, so you just hope you're doing more than they are. There are sites that allow you to word war with others and see their count as you're typing. This could be a big motivator to keep typing if you see your rivals words going up.
  • Writing Buddies - find friends online or at local write-ins to keep you motivated. It's helpful to feel accountable for hitting goals and reporting word counts to friends daily. I use Twitter, NaNoWriMo and Rough Writers to help keep me in check with word counts and goals 
Today is Sunday, November 22, 2015 and I have written 20,420 words. I will more than double this word count over the next 9 days. My novel is a mess, I'm lost, and I've no idea how this will end. I am okay with this and will keep writing. Just keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment